Known as the “capital of the Ribeira Valley”, Registro is located 215 km south of São Paulo city. Formerly called Porto Registro (Registry Port), the city owes its name to the fact that a one-fifth share of all the gold mined in the country during the Brazilian colonial period was collected by the Portuguese Crown at the city’s port. Later on, the name was shortened to Registro. The city initially developed and grew with the arrival and settlement of Japanese immigrants during the first decade of the 20th century. It became an independent municipality in 1944, with a population of 57,000 spread over an area of 718 km2.